1. Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge - this local treasure boasts a small suspension bridge and has plenty of nearby trails. A forest scavenger hunt is fun and free!
2. Lynn Canyon Ecology Centre - located inside Lynn Canyon Park. The centre is a small natural history museum with great programs. By donation (suggested $2 per person, or $5 per family).
3. Capilano Salmon Hatchery - take a self-guided tour of the displays and head out for a walk in the forest around it.
4. The Cleveland Dam and its trails are also right up the road from the Capilano Salmon Hatchery.
5. Take a guided walking tour around different areas of Vancouver - try The Tour Guys. They provide free 45-90 min walking tours around Vancouver Waterfront, Gastown, Granville Island, Chinatown, and hidden art spaces. Tips welcome!
6. The GMS Observatory at the HR Macmillan Space Centre is open on Saturdays, 8pm-midnight. By donation.
7. $2 swim at Harry Jerome - Tuesdays 7:30pm-9pm and Saturdays 1:30pm-3pm.
8. Visit the North Vancouver City Library and pick up one of their 'great reads' for your child's age -talk to a librarian or find recommendations online.
9. Take a ride on the Seabus/Skytrain - schedules through TransLink.
10.Burnaby Village Museum - free entrance and $2.50 carousel rides.
11. Explore Chinatown and the Dr Sun Yat Sen Park - this is a public park, so totally free. Admission applies to the adjacent Dr Sun Yate Sen Chinese Garden.
12. Join in on Culture Days - Sept 26-28. Lots of great, free events sponsored by North Vancouver Museum and Archives.